Laura has been at Tomsic PT since she moved to Durango in Fall of 2014. She is a graduate of a Physical Therapy Orthopaedic Residency program at the University of Utah, where she spent her first year as a PT in focused clinical practice, didactics, and teaching roles to expand her knowledge in orthopaedic care of musculoskeletal injuries and disorders. Through her residency training, she was eligible to become a Board-Certified Orthopaedic Clinical Specialist, which she accomplished in 2015. Laura also completed Evidence in Motion's Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapy Fellowship in April of 2019 to join Ellen as the second fellowship-trained PT in the Durango area. Laura’s completion of this optional advanced training demonstrates her dedication to the profession and to her patients. She is passionate about teaching people to move with better quality in order to achieve their goals, however small or big they may seem, and is enthusiastic about furthering her education and experiences within the exciting field of physical therapy.
Laura was raised in a Spanish bilingual family and community can speak conversational spanish.
Laura's previous training, experiences, and education includes:
- Bachelor of Science in Telecommunications (TV Production), University of Florida, 2006
- Completion of undergraduate courses for physical therapy prerequisites, University of Washington, 2009-2010
- Doctorate of Physical Therapy, University of Utah, 2013
- Residency Graduate of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy, University of Utah, 2014
- Fellowship Graduate of Evidence in Motion's Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapy Fellowship, 2019
- Lab instructor for doctorate-level physical therapy examination course, University of Utah Department of Physical Therapy, 2013
- APTA member since 2010, Orthopaedic section member
- Credentialed Clinical Instructor, APTA, 2014
- Orthopaedic Certified Specialist, ABPTS, 2015
- One week volunteer trip as a PT student to provide training for Rehab Technicians in Jacmel, Haiti through Helping Hands for Haiti, 2012
- Winter Park Ski Patrol 2007-2008
Laura is originally from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, but has stayed in the western part of the United States since her first move to Colorado in 2006. She quickly fell in love with the people, mountains, and lifestyle of the west, and has had the opportunity to be a resident of the beautiful states of Colorado, Washington, and Utah along her journeys. She, along with her husband, Patrick, son Silas, and daughter Esmé are very happy to call Durango, CO home and are looking forward to their continual explorations of everything in the area. In her free time, Laura enjoys hiking, trail running, alpine skiing and touring, yoga, as well as surfing when she gets the opportunity to head to the ocean.