After graduating with her Doctor of Physical Therapy degree from the University of Utah in 2013, Laura extended her studies and is a 2014 graduate of the Physical Therapy Orthopaedic Residency program at the University of Utah Orthopedic Center. She spent her first year there as a PT in focused clinical practice, didactics, and teaching roles to expand her knowledge in orthopaedic care of musculoskeletal injuries and disorders. Through her residency training, she was eligible to become a Board-Certified Orthopaedic Clinical Specialist, which she did in June 2015. She is passionate about teaching people to move with better quality in order to achieve their goals, however small or big they may seem, and is enthusiastic about furthering her education and experiences within the exciting field of physical therapy.
Joining Ellen Tomsic, Laura is one of only two board-certified orthopaedic specialists currently practicing in the Four Corners Region. Also, preceded only by Ellen Tomsic, Laura is the second Residency-trained physical therapist in the area. It is somewhat unique for a physical therapist to pursue Residency training, as it is not a requirement to graduate. Laura’s completion of this optional advanced training demonstrates her dedication to the profession and to her patients.
Laura was raised in a Spanish bilingual family and community and is able to work directly with patients in Spanish without a translator.
Laura's previous training, experiences, and education includes:
- Bachelor of Science in Telecommunications (TV Production), University of Florida, 2006
- Completion of undergraduate courses for physical therapy prerequisites, University of Washington, 2009-2010
- Doctorate of Physical Therapy, University of Utah, 2013
- Residency Graduate of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy, University of Utah, 2014
- Lab instructor for doctorate-level physical therapy examination course, University of Utah Department of Physical Therapy, 2013
- APTA member since 2010, Orthopaedic section member
- Credentialed Clinical Instructor, APTA, 2014
- Orthopaedic Certified Specialist, ABPTS, 2015
- One week volunteer trip as a PT student to provide training for Rehab Technicians in Jacmel, Haiti through Helping Hands for Haiti, 2012
- Winter Park Ski Patrol 2007-2008
Laura is originally from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, but has stayed in the western part of the United States since her first move to Colorado in 2006. She quickly fell in love with the people, mountains, and lifestyle of the west, and has had the opportunity to be a resident of the beautiful states of Colorado, Washington, and Utah along her journeys. She, along with her husband, Patrick, young son, Silas, and chocolate lab, Jenny, are now very happy to call Durango, CO home and are looking forward to getting to the tops of many of the peaks in the area. In her free time, Laura enjoys hiking, trail running, alpine skiing and touring, taking ballet class, yoga, as well as surfing when she gets the opportunity to head to the ocean.